Product Marketing, Design
Messenger Kids is a messaging app for kids. It’s designed to be fun for kids and controlled by parents. This creates the perfect training wheels for social media for your 6–12 yo kids. The app was launched in 2017 but experienced an explosion of growth due to schools closures and social distancing.
During this growth phase, I was tasked with creating some educational assets to help parents better understand and get started with the product.
The goal was to create a series of one pagers/infographics that explain the core app functionality and help newly onboarded parents. The content had to be:
- Easy to understand
The content is featured on the website and social media channels, which had a combined reach of 3.1M.+
I leveraged previous research to determine which aspects of the experience to prioritize. I work with an agency design team to create 4 one pagers covering:
- How to add friends
- Getting started Messenger Kids
- All the parental controls available
What the product is and how to use it
I created a set of 4 one pagers and 8 videos explaining core product features that were popular internally and externally.
I wrote the content, defined the creative strategy, worked with 2 agency designers, and managed 4 rounds of stakeholder feedback
I also designed the promotional assets myself to ensure we were able to ship while MK was experiencing growth.
- The asset I designed was the #1 most highly engaged content across Facebook (51.7k reach, 2.3k engagement)and Instagram (5% engagement rate, #2 in likes and #1 in comments).
- Despite only having 1/3rd of the reach as our top FB post (172k reach, 577 engagement), the one pagers had 4x the engagement.
- #1 most engaged post on FB (51.6k reach, 1k engagement) and instagram (6% engagement rate) for the month of May.
- The brief I wrote was applauded by Senior leadership.
- Leveraged in our international policy and comms briefings
- Tweeted by the #1 safety official in AU, one of our toughest markets
If you’d like to learn more about Messenger Kids or discuss potential projects, feel free to shoot me a ping.
Till next time — own your power, give back, and leave no stone unturned.
Black Lotus Out.